Autoweek, Copy Editor - Detroit, MI
Location: Detroit, MI
Job Summary: The Copy Editor reports to the Editor and Digital Editor and edits content for Autoweek’s print and online properties.
• All traditional copy editing functions for the magazine’s print and online publications, including electronic newsletters, website, news stories, features, editorials and columns.
• Craft sparkling headlines and rewrite copy, as well as do expert line editing for style, grammar, conciseness, spelling, logic, punctuation, clarity, accuracy and consistency.
• Checking copy for verification of factual information.
• Conferring with reporters and editors as necessary.
• Proofread marked page proofs and make indicated changes electronically.
• Proofread the final version of the magazine after the other editors have signed off.
• Do page makeup, including headlines and electronic pagination and some basic page layout as necessary.
• Minimum of 3 – 5 years of copy editing experience, preferably in business journalism.
• Must have a track record of working with both online and print publications.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related fields.
• Excellent knowledge of AP style a must.
• Ability to work in fast-paced, breaking news environments.
• Basic knowledge of HTML is helpful.
• Experience writing crackling headlines and captions.
• Knowledge of Quark is helpful.
• Must be deadline oriented, with the ability to work quickly, spot errors and make copy more readable.
• Must be able to quickly learn subject matter.
Crain Communications Inc is one of the largest privately-owned business publishers in the U.S. with over 30 leading business, trade and consumer titles in North America and Europe. As an authoritative source of vital news and information to industry leaders and consumers worldwide, each of the company's newspapers, magazines and electronic news sites have become required reading in their respective sector of business and consumer market. Providing unmatched value and award-winning editorial excellence, the company is respected for its dependable journalism which readers have relied upon for over 90 years.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a profitable, well established publishing leader.
To apply for this position please visit our website at www.crain.com and search under the employment section.
We thank you for your interest in Crain Communications and invite you to visit our website as positions are updated regularly. Crain Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.