Business Insurance, Managing Editor - Chicago
Location: Chicago, IL
Job title: Managing Editor
The managing editor position is the number two editorial position at Business Insurance. The managing editor plays a key role in developing and executing the editorial strategy of the publication. The position also entails managing the process of transforming content into new products across a variety of delivery methods including magazine, website and tablet products.
We are looking for a seasoned journalist with excellent process management skills who can coordinate production of content with an experienced staff of reporters and editors, and a growing number of freelance contributors.
In addition, the managing editor deputizes for the editor in his absence.
Major responsibilities include:
• Manage day-to-day operations of producing print and electronic versions of the publication.
• Work with assistant managing editors and copy desk chief to oversee copy desk workflow, news gathering, art production and development of feature content.
• Work with senior reporters to identify reader problems and develop in-depth solution-oriented content.
• Editing, headline writing and page production.
• Support video content production.
• Develop and produce webinars.
• Support custom content and sponsored content by providing editorial point of view.
• Liaise with industry executives and represent the publication at events.
• Promote and merchandise editorial content to drive audience growth.
• Produce onsite daily publications at leading industry conferences.
• Analyze content performance and optimize content placement.
• Staff development and performance evaluations.
The ideal candidate will have capabilities across all publishing forms — including print, website and tablet — and will have a background in financial journalism, preferably with a broad knowledge of risk management, insurance and benefits management. Experience in a weekly or daily deadline environment is vital. In addition, as we develop structured, long-form content to help readers do their jobs better, the managing editor must have the ability to manage projects that will come to fruition over several months.
The managing editor will play a key role in the ongoing evolution of the Business Insurance delivery model.
Business Insurance is the leading news and information source for executives concerned about risk and its impact on their business, and also by providers of risk management products and services. We deliver in-depth analysis and information on new and emerging risks, case studies of successful risk management, and market intelligence on trends, opportunities and challenges. We constantly strive to deliver information in a meaningful way across multiple platforms including a weekly print publication, online, mobile, tablet, data & research and events.
Crain Communications Inc is one of the largest privately-owned business publishers in the U.S. with over 25 leading business, trade and consumer titles in North America and Europe. As an authoritative source of vital news and information to industry leaders and consumers worldwide, each of the company's newspapers, magazines and electronic news sites have become required reading in their respective sector of business and consumer market. Providing unmatched value and award-winning editorial excellence, the company is respected for its dependable journalism which readers have relied upon for over 90 years.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a well established publishing leader. To apply for this position please visit our website at www.crain.comand search under the employment section. To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume.
We thank you for your interest in Crain Communications and invite you to visit our website as positions are updated regularly. Crain Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.