This job is no longer available
Location: Dallas, TX
The Editor-in-Chief leads Texas Lawyer's editorial content initiatives, which include news, special reports, decisions, newsletters, conferences and other material in digital and print formats and for live events. The Editor-in-Chief helps set strategy and product development and ensures that products meet the needs of our audience and our business. This is a public-facing position; the Editor-in-Chief is expected to be active in and accessible to the legal marketplace served by Texas Lawyer.
The Editor-in-Chief reports to the Publisher and is a key voice in Texas Lawyer’s management team. The Editor-in-Chief also works with ALM’s corporate staff and leadership to ensure that overall ALM editorial objectives and initiatives are fulfilled.
The Editor-in-Chief supervises the editorial staff to ensure that stated goals are achieved. He or she manages staff and editorial workflow around multiple projects and tight deadlines.
• Hire, train, supervise, motivate and develop editorial staff
• Develop and implement overall editorial mission to support business objectives across content initiatives
• Develop and implement new editorial products to engage readers, expand audience and support business objectives
• Work with publisher and sales director in creating strategy, plans and budgets that meet business objectives across content initiatives
• Establish a positive presence in the legal community and represent the organization in a knowledgeable, professional manner
• Calculate editorial budgets and ensure stated objectives are met through active management of P&Ls.
• Ensure that products are designed, packaged and displayed effectively
• Ensure stated deadlines are met and the highest quality and value is achieved
• Contribute relevant columns and articles as appropriate
• Adhere to ALM Core Competencies and set an excellent example for others to follow
• BA degree in relevant area of study
• Demonstrated experience leading news and content initiatives, including ability to lead multiple, high-value content initiatives in a deadline-driven environment
• Have a strong interest in and aptitude for serving a legal audience with high-level law-related content, including news and information, books, legal research and events.
• Show an aptitude for and proficiency with digital media, including web, mobile, social media and other digital content delivery platforms
• Possess excellent communication skills, including oral, written and public speaking ability
• Possess excellent writing and management skills, including the ability to sharpen or rewrite copy under immediate deadline pressure
• Exceptional judgment and problem solving skills
• Have results-focused business orientation
ALM places a high value on employees and strives to be an employer of choice. To that end we offer competitive salaries, professional growth opportunities, and a comprehensive selection of benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, 401(K) and life insurance options.
Qualified candidates should submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please. MENTION GORKANA WHEN APPLYING!
ALM is an equal opportunity employer that encourages and values diversity. M/F/D/V ALM, an integrated media company, is a leading provider of specialized business news and information, focused primarily on the legal and commercial real estate sectors. ALM’s market-leading brands include The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, GlobeSt.com, Insight Conferences, Law.com, Law Journal Press, LegalTech, The National Law Journal and Real Estate Forum. Headquartered in New York City, ALM was formed in 1997. For more information, visit www.alm.com. Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/almjobs