Thunderdome, Business Channel Editor - NY
Location: New York, NY
Are you a proven innovator? Do you love the news and have experience leading news coverage and production efforts? Do you care about producing the highest quality journalism using all of the newest tools available?
Digital First Media is hiring a team of talented and experienced multiplatform journalists to work at Thunderdome. We are currently seeking a senior editor to manage lead the development of our news coverage and web channels.
Based in New York City, the Thunderdome team will provide content for the more than 800 multi-platform products – including print, web and mobile – for news products produced by both the MediaNews Group and Journal Register Company. We will be working with 75 daily newsrooms and dozens of nondaily news operations in 18 states and managing non-local content efforts across the entire network.
Here's more about the job:
- Creating the content mix for the business and finance channel, which includes identifying potential partnerships, finding new voices and aggregating the best content in the space.
- Developing the business and finance channel’s content hierarchy and navigation.
- Developing a strategy for selling the business and finance channel to other media – or non-media – clients.
- Scoping out key functionality (e.g., search, personalization, comments, maps, etc.).
- Working with DFM's technology team to develop and launch new features.
- Assisting senior management on other important tasks relating to organizational planning and product planning.
In addition to the tasks described above, other needs will surely arise as Thunderdome development continues, so any job candidate must be flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions on the ground.
The Channel Manager, Business/Finance reports to the News Channels Editor.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Must have at least 8 years’ journalism experience, and at least 4 years working in business and finance.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and willingness to work beyond normal work hours as assignments demand, since the news cycle is unpredictable.
- Professional demeanor
- Positive, can-do attitude
- A desire to take risks and try new things.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and any relevant links to work to Troy Turner, news channels editor of Thunderdome, at email@example.com. PLEASE MENTION GORKANA WHEN APPLYING! Additional Project Thunderdome jobs will be posted over the coming weeks.