The Covington News, Design Editor - GA
Location: Covington, GA
The Covington News, a three-day-a-week newspaper in Covington, Ga., seeks a do-it-all journalist to lead the design efforts of the paper. We’re looking for a wordsmith/design whiz to help make the paper's copy sing and pages dance, and a web/social media guru that can continually attract readers to our website.
Top candidates will have:
• Layout experience. You'll need to know how to make news pages attractive to readers and be adept at alternative story formats and other current design principles. We currently use Adobe Indesign 6.
• Organizational and planning skills and be ready to lead. You will keep up with/and organize submitted content and columnist articles as well as planning content for each issue of the paper. You will also be a liaison to the public.
• Demonstrated experience making copy better. You will be doing some line editing and copy editing to help make the finished copy error free. Of course, the requisite knowledge of AP style and headline writing skills are needed.
• Experience writing stories and taking photos. You’ll be the design leader of the paper, so photography experience is a must, while the ability to write stories will only add to the quality of the product.
• Social media expert status. Yes, being witty and selling stories to our online readers through Twitter, Instagram and Facebook is a must.
• Although not required, graphics experience (infographics, timelines, charts, etc.) will put your candidacy over the top. Be familiar with the Adobe Creative Suite.
This is a salaried position; pay will be based on experience and skill set. The News offers health benefits and a 401K plan.
Send resume, cover letter and clips to Editor Gabe Khouli at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to The Covington News, 1166 Usher St. NW, Covington, Ga. 30014. MENTION GORKANA WHEN APPLYING!
The News and Morris Multimedia, Inc. are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.