Modern Healthcare, Managing Editor - IL
Location: Chicago, IL
Reporting to the editor, this is the No. 2 position in our newsroom. The managing editor provides day-to-day newsroom leadership, guiding an award-winning editorial staff in developing and executing news stories, features, trend pieces and other information of interest to our readers for print and online publications. The managing editor also plays a key role in developing and executing the broader editorial strategies of Modern Healthcare, working with the editor on conferences, events, multimedia projects, special issues and other editorial extensions of the highly trusted Modern Healthcare brand.
• Working with reporters to develop story ideas for our daily Web site and weekly print publication
• Planning coverage for the upfront news and features sections of the weekly magazine, an agenda-setting mix of scoops, forward-looking analysis and investigations
• Editing stories for print, online and long-term projects
• Coordinating the work of reporters, copy editors, designers, Web producers, researchers and others involved in delivering stories in print and online, and ensuring that all newsroom operations meet every deadline.
The position requires at least ten years of editorial experience, including at least 3 to 5 years in an editorial management position and a high comfort level working in both the print and digital spaces.
It also requires:
• Strong news judgment with a sophisticated understanding of the business, finance and economics of the wide range of healthcare-related organizations, companies and industries.
• A skillful editing touch with news and feature stories. You must be able to quickly turn raw copy into polished, engaging stories with the edge, sophistication and authority our readers expect.
• A solid, working knowledge of the nuts and bolts of both print and digital publishing, including editing for print as well as running content management systems and using optimization techniques and performance metrics for digital features.
• The ability to mentor and guide writers and editors, helping them expand their skill sets and hone their professional abilities.
• B.A. in journalism or related field. Graduate degree a plus.
Apply Here: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CRAINCOMM&cws=1&rid=1392
Modern Healthcare is the industry’s leading source of healthcare business news, reporting on the issues that have a direct impact on the business decisions healthcare professionals make every day. Complementing the weekly publication are several daily e-newsletters, two breaking news emails, Modern Physician, and two web sites. Modern Healthcare and Modern Physician are a division of Crain Communications Inc.
About Crain Communications Inc - An industry leader, Crain Communications Inc is one of the largest privately owned business media companies with 30 leading business, trade and consumer brands in North America, Europe and Asia. The company’s 850 employees in 11 locations produce exciting publications, digital products, events, marketing services, custom publishing, lead generation and research and data products to help its millions of readers and clients succeed. The company’s website is www.crain.com.
Crain Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.