This job is no longer available
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Senior Reporter will lead the Center for Public Integrity’s investigative work on a 1-2 year project focused on the impact of financial regulatory reform. This includes producing original investigative journalism for publication on the Center’s website and for distribution through the digital, print and broadcast outlets of our media partners. The successful candidate understands and embraces the goals of a digital news environment, social media and multimedia presentation and will balance the need for regular reporting with the on-going production of long-form projects. The Senior Reporter assists in editing work by staff and freelance correspondents and works closely with the Managing Editor to ensure that the mission and values of the organization are integrated into editorial content.
This is a great opportunity for the right person who enjoys a congenial workplace, an extraordinarily compelling mission, and a setting filled with dynamic ideas and game-changing journalism.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
1. Use sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, and write exclusive accountability stories and investigative projects on the topic of business and finance – with a particular focus on economic justice.
2. Work with Managing Editor in developing story and project ideas.
3. Develop and implement an engagement strategy for social media making regular contributions via Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
4. Coordinate with multimedia team and the social media coordinator to create excellent, audience-directed content.
5. Coordinate with computer-assisted reporting team to integrate data into projects.
6. Develop and implement an outreach strategy at the outset of thr project – including identifying and building reporting and distribution partnerships with other news outlets.
7. Compile documentation to facilitate fact checking.
8. Work with other reporters, communications, development and Web team to maximize impact and reach of the story or project.
9. Adhere to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the Personnel Policy Manual and Employee Handbook.
10. Adhere to all policies and practices with regard to any electronic or hard copy documentation from the start of a story or project to its distribution, including storage, indexing, and archiving.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience
• Strong research, writing, and reporting skills
• Advanced problem-solving skills
• Commitment and ability to develop sources
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of and experience with social media
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals
• Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision
• Ability to mentor young journalists and to listen and learn
• Team player
• At least seven years of investigative journalism experience with demonstrated results and expertise in reporting on business and finance.
• Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Understanding of and experience with distribution outlets, including print, broadcast, and the Web.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong analytical, research, and investigative skills.
• Commitment to the values and mission of the Center for Public Integrity.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
• Ability and willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
• Some travel.
• Team player and a commitment to the values and mission of the Center.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put the job title in the subject line.
About The Center for Public Integrity
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by Charles Lewis. We are one of the country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. Our mission: To enhance democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.