This job is no longer available
Location: New York, NY
The Assisting Managing Editor (AME) is an integral part of Law360’s busy newsroom. The AME is responsible for day-to-day oversight of the newsroom with the goal of refining coverage. This position manages a team of legal new reporters and works under the Managing Editor.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assign news stories
• Assign features
• Develop story ideas
• Conduct competitive analysis for assigned sections
• Complete structural edits for articles
• Review newsletter content
• Arrange stories in newsletters
• Work with reporters to improve pitching, writing, developing stories
• Provide continuous feedback to reporters to ensure staff development
• Notify Managing Editor of recurring problems in reporting and writing; provide feedback on overall reporter performance
• Train and mentor new hires
• Improve editorial routines; update editorial wiki as necessary
• Analyze traffic and reader feedback
• Participate in editorial advisory board meetings
• Step in for Managing Editor to fulfill duties as necessary
• Traffic growth for designated sections
• Sales growth for designated sections
• Correction rate for designated sections
• Scoops (competitive analysis)
Required for consideration:
• 2+ years experience managing a team of reporters
• 2+ years experience as an editor at daily business or legal publication
• 2+ years experience as a corporate transactions editor
• 5+ years editing or writing experience
Please note: Qualified candidates will be asked to complete writing and reporting tests electronically.
Law360, a LexisNexis company, is an online newswire for business lawyers that covers major litigation, transactions and regulatory issues. Founded in 2004 and acquired by LexisNexis in 2012, Law360 is a cutting-edge organization and one of the fastest-growing subscription news services in the U.S. Our subscribers include the 100 largest law firms in the U.S., in-house counsel at major corporations, and government agencies such as the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission.
Law360 offers a casual and flexible work environment, comprehensive benefits (including; medical, dental, generous paid time off, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, and a pre-tax commuter program), and competitive salary with bonus eligibility.
Portfolio Media, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.