The Center for Public Integrity, Project Manager of Consider the Source Team - D.C.
Location: Washington, D.C.
The project manager is a member of the Center for Public Integrity (the Center’s) Consider the Source team, which researches and reports daily, weekly, and long-form watchdog and investigative journalism for publication on the Center’s website and for distribution in digital, print and broadcast outlets with our media partners.
The candidate understands and embraces the goals of a digital news environment and social and multimedia. The project manager assists in assigning and editing work by project staff and freelance correspondents and administers project goals in line with grant deliverables. The project manager works closely with the Consider the Source project director to ensure that all objectives are met and that the mission and values of the organization are integrated into editorial content. The job requires an understanding of the impact of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision on state gubernatorial and judicial elections. Following the 2012 elections, the project will expand to create an ongoing investigative resource for reporters in the states that that provides information on the sources of money and influence on state governments.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
• Implements, manages and directs project and story ideas for the Consider the Source in the States project from conception through completion.
• Manages all reporters assigned to the CTS-States project. Assists with recruitment, hiring, training, and performance evaluations.
• Coordinates with multimedia team to develop and implement new approaches to create excellent, audience-directed content including multimedia and social media elements.
• Coordinates with computer-assisted reporting team to integrate data into projects.
• Works with Center Executive Editor to develop partnerships and collaborations with outside news outlets for content distribution of short and long-form stories.
• Develops outreach strategies in conjunction with reporters, using a variety of tools and platforms to engage audiences before during and after story publication.
• Promotes the Center’s brand and profile through high-impact investigative journalism and external networks.
• Ensures compliance with the Center’s editorial standards and ethics.
• Coordinates with both the Communications and Development departments in rolling out projects, delivering on commitments and exploring and assisting with funding.
Education: Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience.
• Strong editing, investigative reporting writing and management skills.
• Advanced problem-solving skills
• Commitment and ability to develop sources.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Knowledge of and experience with social media.
• Familiarity with analyzing diverse campaign finance databases in numerous formats.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals.
• Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to mentor young journalists and to listen and learn.
• Team player an absolute must.
• At least seven years of investigative reporting and editing experience with demonstrated results and expertise in reporting on state government and state campaign finance issues.
• Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment
• Understanding of and experience with distribution outlets, including print, broadcast, and the Web.
• Strong, management, planning, financial and organizational skills. Strong analytical, research, and investigative skills.
• Superb editing skills.
• Commitment to the values and mission of the Center for Public Integrity.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines
• Ability and willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners
• Some travel.
All applications, including a cover letter and resume, should be emailed to email@example.com. MENTION GORKANA WHEN APPLYING! Please put job title in subject line.