Market reporter, Freight and Petroleum Coke, Argus Media - NY
Argus is a fast-growing global media company focused on commodity markets. Our job is to provide essential price discovery, news and analysis for these markets that help related industries make smart decisions.
We are currently seeking a market reporter to contribute to industry-leading publications covering the ocean-going freight and petroleum coke markets. The freight industry is essential to commodity markets, and understanding the economics of this industry is key understanding the global value of most commodities. Likewise, petroleum coke is a globally traded solid fuel. A product of the refining industry, it can have a significant impact on refinery economics, The market reporter would work closely with editors in Washington, DC and New York City to provide timely price information, news and analysis for these two important markets.
- Conduct assessment work for petroleum coke markets and freight markets
- Support publication editors in petroleum coke and freight assessment processes. Write commentaries, news and analysis on marine freight and petcoke markets
- Maintain and build databases and create data products under the supervision of report editors
- Work with teams both in the US and globally to coordinate coverage and assessment work
- Meet rigorous compliance standards for price reporting
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, economics, business, or relevant field. Advanced degree a plus
- Knowledge of commodities, particularly in the petroleum coke or freight markets
- Experience editing and writing in a fast-paced, wire-style environment
- Analytical and detail-oriented mind, quantitative analytical skills a plus
- Networking skills, public speaking skills and understanding of sourcing standards and journalistic best-practices in developing and handling source relationships
- Strong reporting and writing skills
- Spanish or other foreign language ability a plus
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on a deadline
Argus is an independent media organization with over 750 full time staff. It is headquartered in London and has offices in each of the world’s principal commodity centers. Its main activities comprise publishing market reports containing price assessments, market commentary and news, and business intelligence reports that analyze market and industry trends.
Argus is a leading provider of data on prices and fundamentals, news, analysis, consultancy services and conferences for the global crude, oil products, LPG, natural gas, electricity, coal, emissions, bioenergy, fertilizer, petrochemical, metals and transportation industries. Data provided by Argus are widely used for indexation of physical trade. Companies, governments and international agencies use Argus information for analysis and planning purposes.
• Competitive salary
• Group medical, dental and vision plans
• Company paid long term disability and life insurance plan
• Group 401(k) and/or ROTH 401(k) retirement plan with a 4% total company match
• 15 vacation days your first year, which increases with tenure
• Subsidized gym membership
• Extensive internal and external training