Reporter, SeattlePI - WA
If you can spot a story that feels authentic to Seattle and can drop everything and write about it in a fresh, witty, sometimes acerbic voice, while respecting objective journalism, legal issues, and copyrights, this may be the career move for you.
If you can bust out straight breaking news quickly and accurately while simultaneously monitoring trends on Tweetdeck, and chatting with your boss via IM -- and do it all with a smile -- this may be the career move for you.
Play a central role at one of the best newsrooms and content creators in the Pacific Northwest. Seattlepi.com is looking for an innovative and experienced reporter.
This is a full-time position that includes occasional weekends and holidays. The person in this role will create daily stories, videos, and feature content to be distributed on the Seattlepi.com homepage and through all of our social media channels – as well as on other Hearst newspaper sites including SFGate.com.
The ideal candidate will proactively self-assign stories that are on the verge of going viral. He/she is an idea generator with strong social roots and a deep knowledge of Seattle. He/she should be able to create 3-5 stories a day while managing analytics and best practices, and bringing innovative multimedia, multi-platform, multi-social network ideas to a larger team.
What You'll Do:
- Write 3-5 stories each day on a range of topics of interest to Seattle readers
- Select stories with an eye for audience engagement and traffic
- Create daily stories, photo galleries, and videos for seattlepi.com
- Monitor trending topics from social media to inform editorial decisions
- Fill in as homepage editor on occasion
- Manage photos, headlines, story packaging and overall site layout
- Monitor a fire hose of content available to the Seattlepi.com team to build and constantly rebuild a homepage user experience in synch with the Seattlepi.com brand to deliver on metrics and goals
- Package items from third party content sources and maximized engagement using related links, photo galleries, and videos
- Communicate and coordinate with the other Hearst newspaper sites, especially SFGate.com
- Bring fresh ideas to daily content creation and social media promotion
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5 years of writing experience in a news organization
- Background in science, sports and/or political writing a plus
- Background in buzzy news from the Seattle scene
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism
- Innate sense of what clicks and what will be trending later in the day
- Fresh, brilliant writing style in an engaging, conversational voice
- Comfort with video, video editing, and photography
- Professional social media experience, familiar with algorithms, audiences, and insight
- Team player who works collaboratively
Click 'Apply' now!