Director and Professor of Practice, Cronkite News Digital Desk - AZ
- Full Time
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, a national leader in digital media education, seeks to hire a Director and Professor of Practice to lead the Digital Desk at Cronkite News.
The bureau director will lead, edit, oversee and teach a student team charged with conceptualizing and producing highly innovative multimedia content for Cronkite News, the student-staffed, faculty-led news division of Arizona PBS, and for distribution to regional and national media outlets.
The team is responsible for web production and design, including the creation and employment of visual elements such as graphics, video, photo, interactives and data to tell compelling and powerful stories.
The team also is responsible for leading audience metrics and engagement, search engine optimization and social media strategy and execution for Cronkite News.
The Cronkite News Digital Desk program is one of a dozen immersive professional experiences at the Cronkite School that reflect the school’s “teaching hospital” approach to education.
Students engage at least two full days a week in programs that include a nightly television newscast distributed on Arizona PBS, an innovation and entrepreneurship lab where students create new digital products and services, news reporting bureaus in Washington, D.C., and L.A., and a Spanish-language bureau where students report and produce news content across media platforms for Spanish-speaking audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading, editing and teaching upper-level undergraduate and graduate journalism students in a daily news environment in the nation’s 12th largest media market
- Overseeing daily production and driving strong visual content and design for the Cronkite News website
- Leading experimentation with and teaching of new tools and technologies that enhance digital storytelling
- Driving audience engagement through social media, SEO and immersion reporting experiences
- Working collaboratively with other professional program directors and media partners to plan, manage and produce innovative and professional news and information content across platforms
- Working as part of the Carnegie-Knight News21 team in the summer, supporting a national investigative multimedia reporting program for top journalism students from around the country
- Performing other faculty responsibilities, such as committee assignments and student recruitment, as assigned.
Five years of major-market regional or national experience planning and producing digital content; exceptional storytelling skills that integrate text, video, photo, graphics and data; expertise in social media promotion and distribution and web metrics and SEO; familiarity with HTML and standard content management systems; experience with new tools and technologies for digital storytelling; a bachelor’s degree.
Experience managing digital teams; experience designing and producing video and other visuals for digital audiences; experience working with undergraduate and/or graduate students in a university or newsroom setting; bilingual (English/Spanish).
This is appointment holds the faculty rank of Professor of Practice.
Application deadline: Feb. 28, or if not filled, the first of each month thereafter until the search is closed.
Application procedure: Materials must include: 1) a resume, 2) web-based samples of work created or produced, and 3) names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references.
Submit materials via email by completing the application form below.
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
555 N. Central Avenue, Suite 302
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. More detailed information can be found at: https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.
Apply for Director and Professor of Practice, Cronkite News Digital Desk - AZ
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly