Senior Communications Strategist, Southern Poverty Law Center - AL
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Senior Communications Strategist will be responsible for developing and implementing a communications and outreach strategy that promotes and enhances the organization’s brand, broadens national awareness of its programs, and increases visibility of its priorities.
- Develop a deep understanding of SPLC’s regional and national initiatives and seek to enhance cohesion between local projects and the overall outreach and communications strategy to support SPLC’s objectives;
- Work in collaboration across departments to develop strong and consistent messaging on SPLC priorities, including – but not limited to – hate and extremism, economic justice, immigrant justice, LGBT rights, criminal law reform, and children’s rights;
- Write and edit press materials and media plans; create press lists; build and cultivate relationships with key members of the media; pitch stories;
- Work with Communications Director and/or other senior staff members to implement priority projects that will raise the profile of the issues on which SPLC works;
- Manage specific campaigns and projects: increase press outreach and generate public interest to enhance the organization’s reach and further its strategic goals;
- Monitor and evaluate campaigns and press outreach strategies, contribute to regular internal communications reports;
- Promote and contribute to a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality, and collaboration.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher is required;
- A minimum of 8 years professional experience in developing and implementing; communications strategies for advocacy with a track record of successfully positioning an organization or issue in a competitive media environment;
- Exceptional writing/editing and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to conduct web research, analyze information, and break complex information down into an easy to understand format;
- Must be detail oriented, able to manage up or down, work hands on, and be a team player;
- Commitment to social justice; familiarity with impact litigation and/or policy work
Benefits and Compensation:
SPLC offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of SPLC compensation bands.
Click 'Apply' now.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.