Social Media Director, WNYC - NY
The Social Media Director will work at a high level to create and execute content strategies that will grow the audiences for WNYC radio and WNYC Studios’ podcasts.
The mandate is to expand our reach, engage new people outside our bubble and deepen engagement across the board. Podcast listenership is growing quickly, and we are looking for someone who can understand, excite and infiltrate new and untapped audiences.
The Social Media Director will work within the content division to develop show-specific digital strategies, ideate and create native social content, oversee our show and brand feeds, build engagement tools, and cultivate editorial partnerships.
You’ll collaborate with our counterparts in technology, marketing, membership, sponsorship, live events and business development on strategies to grow and monetize audiences in all directions.
The social media manager for podcasts reports to this person, and the social media manager for news has a dotted line.
- Oversee operations of the WNYC Studios Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. accounts, and serve as a resource for best practices for the WNYC accounts.
- Collaborate with tech team to build native social tools for audio
- Represent WNYC to social media platforms and work with beta companies to be the first out the door with new platforms we believe have traction
- Develop show-specific social, partnership and live strategies with podcast producers
- Seek out and establish editorial partnerships that get our work to new audiences.
- Use analytics to make informed decisions about how and where to position each show in the portfolio.
- Set best social media practices for the content division and serve as a resource for reporters and producers
- Curate playlists and content suggestions to 3rd parties and new distribution partners
- Ensure web content for WNYC Studios shows have strong visuals and are optimized for SEO
- Collaborate with marketing and biz dev on promotional partnerships with 3rd party distributors like Google Music Play, iTunes, Sirius
- Collaborate with PR and sponsorships on promotional trades with press outlets, distributors, and partners for events, crossover episodes, and announcements
- Ideate and execute video content around priority series launches
- 7+ years in social media in a media or entertainment company, including leadership of projects and people
- Strong writing skills
- Superb oral communicator
- Experience with video editing software
- Experience with audio editing software preferred
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and pay close attention to detail and fact-checking
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively and/or interact with the public and with other staff at New York Public Radio
Apply by completing the application form below.