Reuters, Finance Editor - Asia (Hong Kong)
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
Reuters is seeking a top-flight journalist and newsroom leader to oversee coverage of financial services in Asia.
The Finance Editor, Asia will work with reporters in bureaus around the region as well as directly manage a group of Hong Kong- and Singapore-based specialist financial reporters to forge agenda-setting coverage of the most important deals, regulatory changes, investment flows and other trends shaping finance in Asia and globally.
From fintech and the challenges faced by global banks in Asia to the surge in outbound acquisition activity by Chinese firms and the reactions that is prompting, Asia is ripe with important stories watched closely by Reuters’ core financial industry clients.
The editor would need to apply a deep understanding of finance and regulation, as well as great news judgment, editing skills and a flair for leading teams, to get a far-flung team working well together to break news and write insightful initiative stories on the changes gripping the financial sector.
The successful candidate for this high-profile role must be able to juggle the high intensity news flow from M&A, equity capital markets and fund-raising deals with a pipeline of unique, hard-hitting initiative stories about banks, insurers and other financial institutions operating in the region.
To that end, the candidate must demonstrate keen skills at prioritization and delegation, to ensure that we are planning out coverage and giving the most important stories adequate attention, resulting in distinctive coverage on those topics that are most vital to our readers
- Managing a team of experienced reporters, in addition to working with bureaus such as China, India and Southeast Asia to shape the financial file out of those areas.
- Collaborate closely with counterparts in the Americas and EMEA to produce successful cross-border stories.
- Work seamlessly with reporting teams and editing desks to ensure a smooth story production process, from story conceptualization to final product.
- The role may involve a heavy amount of reporting, as well as building and running a team of consummate news breakers and market movers.
- Contribute actively to the Asia news leadership team, helping to shape the regional and global file.
- At least five years’ experience covering the financial industry
- Prior management or news leadership experience essential
- Knowledge of the region and international finance highly desirable
- Ability to home in on the questions that financial professionals need answered
- Ability to generate and articulate ideas to drive the file forward in original ways
- Talent at writing, editing and breaking news
- Ability to partner well with different teams, across news bureaus and beats
- Knowledge of an Asian language, especially Mandarin, an advantage
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers.
As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We’ll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law.
Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us - click 'Apply' now.