Digital Spy, Freelance Sub-Editors
Digital Spy is expanding its pool of freelance production editors for evening, weekend and holiday cover.
We’re looking for experienced freelance sub-editors or a senior digital reporter who's interested in a fresh challenge, picking up cover shifts when the core team are away. Although this is a freelance role, it comes with a lot of responsibility and you’ll be an important part of the team.
Digital Spy is one of the UK's largest entertainment websites, and also home to one of the largest and busiest discussion forums in the world.
This position is home-based and includes regular evening, weekend and late shifts.
You will have:
- Excellent attention to detail and a high standard of written English, keeping to house style at all times;
- First-rate news judgment and an ability to write news stories with speed, accuracy and flair;
- Robust general knowledge of all categories covered by Digital Spy, and expert knowledge of at least one area that we cover;
- A familiarity with online content management systems and a good understanding of the basics of digital publishing;
- Sound legal and ethical judgment;
- Basic multimedia skills (images, GIFs, video);
- A reliable internet connection and the ability to work from home.
You will be:
- Dependable and reliable;
- Calm under pressure;
- Able to work on your own initiative – but know when to seek advice or guidance.
What you’ll be doing:
- Checking writers' copy for accuracy, style, compliance and fluency, amending accordingly and providing feedback and guidance for reporters where appropriate in line with Digital Spy house style;
- Making sure that articles look great, with appropriately-chosen images, GIFs, video and social embeds;
- Working well with duty news editors and other senior staff to source and angle suitable stories for coverage – writing yourself or assigning to reporters as appropriate;
- Responding to breaking news situations calmly and appropriately, with speed, efficiency and confidence;
- Choosing articles for placement on the front page and the top stories for each of the section homepages using real-time data;
- Selecting content for promotion on Twitter, adhering to social media guidelines and house style at all times.
How to apply:
Please complete the application form below to send us your application along with the following:
In your covering letter, we’d like us to tell you about any relevant previous experience, your expected hourly rate and your availability during an average week. We’d also like you to tell us why you have the knowledge, passion and skills necessary to join an important section of Digital Spy’s editorial team.
Please also include:
- Your CV, including links to examples of previous relevant work;
- A short description of the Digital Spy house style (you’re advised to use copy produced in the past three months as a guide for this section);
- Four stories that you think Digital Spy needs to cover today, with suggested headlines and angles;
- Two current news articles – each for a different section – in the Digital Spy house style. These samples must be your own unsubbed, original work.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview and asked to complete a short aptitude test. Initial training for successful candidates will be provided at Digital Spy’s offices at Hearst in central London.