Deputy Science Editor, Newsweek - NY
Newsweek is seeking a deputy science editor to work with a growing, energetic and talented team of science writers.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent ability to distinguish good pitches from bad, encourage writers to find untold stories, and possess a broad and deep knowledge of various science issues and topics.
You will know why a story works—and why not—and offer sharp and rapid edits on breaking news, timely reports and longer features. You possess a thorough understanding of science journalism accompanied by experience in a fast-paced newsroom and savviness with Internet publishing. You are passionate about finding the science in everything.
The deputy editor will be responsible for assigning and editing stories across all science and health subjects. The successful candidate will have a good understanding of Newsweek’s tone and sensibility, be organized and goal-oriented but also respectful of the time and effort involved in publishing work of the highest quality. Extreme attention to detail and the ability to multitask are key.
Key attributes, experience and skills:
- Track record of producing excellent science journalism as a writer and/or editor
- Knowledge of SEO, social media and other vital components of web journalism
- Strong mentoring skills
- The ability to explain your editorial decisions in clear terms
- The ability to work under pressure without compromising journalistic standards
- At least three years of science journalism experience
- Must have authorization to work in the U.S.
- Must be available to work onsite in the New York City office
- Working closely with a growing staff of science writers in the New York newsroom
- Mentoring writers to improve copy, story ideas and headlines
- Devising coverage plans for upcoming noteworthy events in the worlds of science, medicine and health
- Editing original content for publication on the Newsweek website and in the print magazine
- Generating story ideas and finding science angles for current news coverage
- Overseeing the science writer staff when the science editor is unavailable
- Ensuring online content conforms to best practice and meetings quality standards.
Apply by completing the application form below.