Breaking News Editor, Newsweek - NY
Does the thought of getting scooped make you break out in sweat? Do you keep refreshing your social feeds because, FOMO? Are you always looking for an edge against the competition? Then you may be the right candidate.
Newsweek is looking for a digitally-savvy, nimble and energetic editor to lead the breaking news team in New York.
You are drill sergeant and team leader. You are captain and mentor to an expanding group of reporters who are the first responders in the newsroom.
The ideal candidate will thrive on the challenge of staying ahead of the news cycle and running a fast-paced, breaking news environment. You will be expected to devise coverage plans and marshall newsroom resources across multiple bureaus. The breaking news editor reports to the News Director.
The breaking news editor coordinates between various verticals teams and across New York and London. The successful candidate will have a good understanding of Newsweek’s tone and sensibility, be organized and goal-oriented but also respectful of the time and effort involved in publishing work of the highest quality. She or he should also have extreme attention to detail and a system for multi-tasking.
Key attributes, experience & skills:
- Track record of building engaged digital audiences through story ideas, SEO, social media skills and other practices
- Deep paranoia over not getting beat by the competition
- Experience covering and editing U.S. & international news
- Proven experience building and running a successful newsroom
- Strong mentoring skills
- The ability to work under pressure to deadlines and on a flexible schedule. Because of the need to coordinate across regions, it’s important that the candidate is willing to accommodate work after regular office hours.
- Must have authorization to work in the U.S.
- Should have at least five years of newsroom experience
- Overseeing the day-to-day breaking news operations in the New York newsroom
- Mentoring reporters and working with them to improve copy, story ideas and headlines
- Devising coverage plans for breaking news events
- Editing original content for publication on the Newsweek website, including breaking news hits when required, ambitious enterprise stories and deep-dive web features
- Working as part of a team to make Newsweek’s coverage as strong and coherent as possible, including working with video and social media editors
- Ensuring online content conforms to best practice, including SEO, and meets content and quality standards
Please send all applications by completing the application form below.