Landscape Institute, Journal Editor / Writer
5 days left
- Full Time
Landscape is the quarterly publication for members of the Landscape Institute (LI), the chartered body which represents the landscape professions, including landscape design, management, science, planning, placemaking and urban design, as well as students.
Landscape is positioned as ‘The home for all landscape professionals’ and has a readership of around 5500 LI members. It covers issues relevant to members, LI news and the work of the LI (including education initiatives and promotion of the landscape professions).
The objective of Landscape is to support the LI’s business plans and strategy through creating high-quality content about people, places and nature which links to individual issue themes such as ‘celebrating success’ (LI Awards issue), ‘education, education, education’ and ‘creating healthy environments’.
We are seeking a versatile writer / editor to cover landscape architecture, management, environmental and urban affairs, design practice and technology, among other areas.
The job duties include:
- Regularly developing your own stories, both short and fast and longer stories, for the magazine.
- Cultivating story ideas as a member of the LI’s editorial team (the EAP).
- Assigning stories to outside writers and managing their work on deadline.
- Substantive editing of outside writers’ stories to ensure they meet the journal’s content guidelines and objectives.
- Working closely with the LI to ensure that content aligns to LI strategy.
- Working closely with the publisher, Darkhorse Design Ltd.
- Shaping the tone of stories and display copy with a distinctive voice.
- The ability to work quickly, accurately, and independently on a tight deadline as part of a small team.
- Excellent grammar, usage, and copy skills.
The ideal candidate will show:
- Excellent reporting, fast writing, and oral communication skills.
- A passion for landscape and a working knowledge of all landscape disciplines and urban placemaking industry in general.
- A strong sense of enterprise in spotting and developing stories.
BA in English, journalism, communication, or related field; degree or coursework in landscape architecture, horticulture, or environmental design issues a plus.
Proficiency in written, verbal, and interpersonal communication. Excellent organizational skills, good judgment, and attention to detail. Ability to balance heavy workload with short- and long-term project deadlines, address changing priorities, and work well under pressure. Experience with basic magazine layout.
Minimum five years’ experience in writing for publication; knowledge of landscape architecture, design, planning, and/or environmental issues.
Please complete the application form below with your resume, along with 3 writing samples.
Each issue of the Journal is 4-6k, plus commissioning budget. No phone calls or agency referrals. Remote-working is usual, with a requirement to attend four EAP’s a year.
Apply for Landscape Institute, Journal Editor / Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly