PinkNews, Head of Content
PinkNews is the world’s largest publisher of content relating to sexuality and gender.
We are looking for a Head of Content to build and direct an expanded editorial team and manage our social media platforms.
The ideal individual should share our vision for explaining sexuality and gender issues, from the most serious to the most entertaining. We are dedicated to achieving global equality for the LGBT+ community by engaging our community and our allies through our editorial.
We are looking for a smart, hardworking and experienced editor who is keen to take that next step up and join our small PinkNews family. The ideal candidate will be proactive, confident managing a small team and eager to make an impact
No two days will be the same at PinkNews - on one day you might be attending a high-profile LGBT event and networking with senior politicians and the next you could be speaking on a panel debate or giving reaction quotes to print publications.
This is a fantastic opportunity for you to not only manage the current content team but to be involved in the process of building and expanding your team.
What you must have:
- Experience of managing a team/department in a high-quality and high-volume digital publication or the online team of a newspaper with a good understanding of digital media
- A background of chairing editorial meetings and assigning news stories and evergreen content ideas to other journalists
- Experience in the recruitment and the growth of an editorial team
- A passion for news, politics and entertainment
- Experience using Wordpress and/or other CMS software
- An interest in writing and editing content relating to sexuality and gender
- An eye for a story that could ‘go viral’ and experience of building listicles and quizzes
- Experience at commissioning and producing visual journalism for Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
- The ability to gather and analyse social media data and analytics to gauge success of social media efforts and initiatives using Google Analytics and social media monitoring tools
- Impeccable attention to detail and an ability to create clean, high-quality copy under tight deadlines
- Excellent proofreading and sub-editing skills
- A strong understanding of media law and journalistic ethics
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that will sometimes include nights and weekends
- Knowledge of the online journalism landscape and the place of PinkNews within it
- Belief in equality for all
Ideally, you will also have:
- An eye for design and the ability to make social graphics with simple tools
- An interest in events and identifying how to promote and embody PinkNews values into any event organised
- Video production and editing skills
The chosen candidate will be joining a small family of focused, dedicated, creative people in the UK and the US who collectively punch above their weight. PinkNews welcomes applications from all suitable candidates regardless of their sexuality or gender identity.
PinkNews will only consider applications with a covering letter explaining why you would wish to work at PinkNews and displaying your experience relating to the job role. Please also share your current salary and your salary expectations for a role at PinkNews.
Apply as early as possible, as we will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis. This role is only suitable for someone who is able to work in Central London.