Telegraph Media Group, Deputy Business Editor
The Telegraph is looking for an experienced business journalist to help run its Business team.
The Telegraph's Business team covers everything from FTSE 100 companies to the best of the UK's small businesses, from house price data to macro-economic statistics, and everything in between.
- To help with the day-to-day running of the Business department and its entire output on all Telegraph platforms - the daily and Sunday editions of the newspaper and telegraph.co.uk - seven days a week.
- While the Deputy Business Editor will help guide the Business team’s entire output, they will have a specific focus on working with the team to generate more scoops, ensuring that news stories are sharply reported, edited and headlined.
- To help manage the Business team, including serving as line manager to some members of staff for all HR purposes, recruitment, coaching, staff leave, absence and appraisals.
- To help recruit, train and develop talented journalists who can deliver scoops, high-quality analysis and in-depth features.
- To identify the most important stories of the day/week/month and work with team to guide how those stories should can best and most imaginatively be covered in order to appeal to the widest-possible audience in the most compelling format.
- To attend some daily/weekly news conferences and planning meetings.
- To work on and deliver longer-term projects.
- To help plan and host Telegraph commercial events related to the Business department, including the Festival of Business, the Telegraph Business of Sport conference and the Telegraph Business awards.
- To break stories and write columns.
- To deputise for the Business Editor as required, including attendance at meetings and news conferences.
Specific requirements & skills
- Extensive experience in a senior editorial role in a newspaper, newswire or digital environment.
- Proven experience of planning and delivering agenda-setting content and leading longer term projects.
- The ability to influence and collaborate with senior colleague across departments.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the different types of digital storytelling and an understanding of digital optimisation of content through social media and SEO.
Click 'Apply' now.
The Telegraph is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.