Photo Editor, The Wall Street Journal - NY
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video.
Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism.
The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
The Wall Street Journal, the nation's largest daily newspaper, has an exciting opening for a Photo Editor in our New York City based photo department
What the position is:
This is a rare opportunity to work with world class photographers, producing and editing visual content from environmental portraits to reportage and researching imagery from newswires to individual and historical works.
A great love of photography and visual storytelling are paramount second only to your top-notch portfolio of past stories you've edited, produced and researched.
This is a full time position in our New York City office.
Competitive salary, great benefits and vacation allowance and the best group of coworkers you will ever find are all perks for the job.
Who we are looking for:
- A visual storyteller able to pull together complex photo assignments, agency research, communication with reporters around the globe, editors with demanding standards.
- A qualified candidate is able to communicate via the written word and with excellent communication and social media skills.
- A bachelor degree at minimum is necessary and you should have at least 2 years in an position of producing or photo editing.
- Aside from your keen eye the most important skill for success in this position is a stellar personality, ability to work in a team environment and develop consensus with colleagues, yet be self-motivated to work the hours necessary to complete assignments that can span many time zones.
- A successful candidate will be deadline-oriented, digitally focused and excel at multi-tasking.
- You would be involved in a variety of daily and longer project tasks, including posting stories and creating complementary content, creating photo and multimedia packages building and maintaining special sections, managing social media accounts, working with reporters and editors on enhancing stories for digital and mobile devices, promoting reader participation, and more.
Some of the daily of the tasks:
- Producing and posting daily newsroom visual content with an attention to detail (concise headlines and text blocks, well-edited photos, appropriate links to related content).
- Producing and maintaining content such as photo galleries, databases and other multimedia and interactive packages.
- Working with editors and reporters to post breaking news photos quickly and accurately, and enhancing them with additional digital content.
- Working with editors and reporters to tell narrative, investigative, feature and other enterprise stories on multiple platforms including print.
- Looking at real-time data and making suggestions on story and photo placement.
- Helping reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- Strategizing on the best use of social media to promote Journal content.
Some of the skills needed:
- Thorough understanding of good journalism and how to produce it for multiple platforms.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative abilities.
- Knowledge of and comfort with Web tools and programs, including content management systems, HTML, Photoshop, video and audio editing tools, FTP, and social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
The successful candidate also will need:
- Superior copy editing skills
- Superior headline-writing skills, with knowledge of SEO
- Superior writing/reporting skills
- Superior critical thinking skills/news judgment
- Superior problem-solving skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks as we move forward in out digital evolution
- The ability to teach and coach your co-workers
- Ability to create convincing and high-quality composite images from scratch
Click 'Apply' now. Please include a resume and cover letter with your online application.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets