HuffPost, Assignment Editor - Breaking News
HuffPost is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, video, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged global community for opinion and conversation. The site launched its first international edition in May 2011.
HuffPost is looking for a talented assignment editor to help direct our breaking news coverage for the U.S. website during riveting moments in politics, culture and national and international news.
The ideal candidate will be skilled at handling a broad range of stories, from political news out of Washington to mass shootings to crucial conversations bubbling up online and around the country.
You should be a gifted editor who can mentor reporters and elevate their stories. You should be blazing fast and be able to put big news in front of our readers as quickly as possible. You should have impeccable judgment, knowing when and how to evaluate sources and frame stories.
You should be obsessed with the news, with a particular interest in the most important stories of our time: a historic political drama, and the powerful forces of race, gender and economic inequality. You must be extremely well-versed in U.S. politics and current affairs and familiar with the culture nuances of writing for a U.S. audience.
HuffPost creates journalism for ordinary people, not tip-sheets for elites, so you should spearhead coverage that is both accessible and impactful. HuffPost also tells stories in many formats, so you must be comfortable working with teams across the newsroom, including visual and audio editors.
You should have at least six years experience in digital journalism, and an ability to use both traditional reporting skills and modern digital and data tools. You will manage a group of reporters in our fast-paced, energetic newsroom, so you should be an inspiring leader and able to collaborate with colleagues.
You will be joining a growing and diverse newsroom that reaches nearly 170 million people across the globe every month, and many millions more through our social platforms and partner portals like Yahoo and AOL, which together reach over a billion users every month.
- 6 years experience in online journalism
- Be obsessed with the news and follow it relentlessly
- Live for the thrill of being first to a story
- Have a nose for the little details that make a story sing
- Have the judgment to know when a story matters — and when it doesn’t
- Have a knack for brainstorming informative, interesting and fun story ideas
- Be able to learn from data
- Find a great story in all kinds of places: Twitter, a small blog, emerging platforms, or in the 10th paragraph of a newspaper article
- Have impeccable writing and editing skills
- Ability to collaborate across multiple teams and juggle several stories and projects at the same time
- Have a wide range of interests, from hard news to lighter stories
Click 'Apply' now.
Oath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.
Oath is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for all employees during their employment.