Bridge Studio, Art Director
Bridge Studio is the strategic content agency for The Bridge, the commercial sales department at News UK.
We create campaigns for our clients and agencies that harness emotions to change how people think, feel and act around commercial brands. We do this by telling stories that entertain, excite and inspire across all platforms: digital, print, video, social, audio, events and more.
We craft editorial content that forges powerful connections with the audiences reached by News UK's news-brands and channels: The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless radio, Unruly and Storyful.
The Bridge Studio design team works with creative leads, picture editors and sub-editors to think up, create and deliver the best blend of editorial and branded cross-platform content.
Our wide range of creative design expertise and diverse skillsets give Bridge Studio the ability to create inspirational and innovative design work.
The art director is responsible for ensuring the design team delivers creative to the highest possible standard across print, digital editions, online, social and beyond - and pioneers new techniques, products, skillsets and other innovations to set the creative vision for Bridge Studio.
The art director will manage the workflow into the Bridge Studio's design team, from speculative pitch work and mock artwork to delivery of final creative as well as identifying development and training for the design team.
This is a crucial role that will help implement and shape the long-term creative strategy for Bridge Studio.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Work with the creative content director and associate creative director to set the forward vision of Bridge Studio's design team: areas of investment and focus (digital tools, workflows, video and more), skills gaps, and changes in market
- Art direct key campaigns for clients, developing visual and design concepts across multiple platforms for wider design team to execute
- Allocate and manage workflow of the Bridge Studio's design team workflow, monitoring and reporting on pitch and live workloads and time management and efficiency issues
- Oversee the creative output of the design team to ensure work produced is to a consistently high creative standard, technically accurate and in accordance with given specifications
- Work with the associate creative director to ensure the professional development of the Bridge Studio design team, assessing performance, skillsets and identifying opportunities for team members to improve
- Manage cross-departmental workflows and collaboration between design, creative and project management teams
- Liaise with clients and within the business to uphold the highest design standards and influence the best professional practices to ensure our work is the best in the industry
- Work with Digital team to create a portfolio of new digital properties for clients and agencies
- Provide art direction on sales pitches: develop creative ideas, suggest new products and lead design team in transforming client requirements into strategic brand concepts
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Demonstrable experience in art director/deputy art director or similar creative management role
- Experience of managing and developing a design and art-worker team
- Experience of leading the creative development of a design team
- Extensive experience in commissioning creative for print, digital, social and other platforms and commissioning photography and directing photoshoots
- Experience of producing high-quality advertising concepts, storyboards and design work (print and digital)
- Solid understanding of the commercial content market and how to produce content for commercial brands, clients and agencies
- Truly platform agnostic when developing ideas and has the ability to make content work cross-platform with due consideration for both commercial brand effectiveness and audience user journey
- Well versed in social media-specific concepts. With an understanding of execution formats and creative best practice for social media networks: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Has a good understanding of web design and digital (and skills in appropriate software), to be able execute web-based deliverables
- Excellent skills using Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Knowledge of HTML5 and CSS, After Effects
- An innovative, entrepreneurial and spirited approach to the job
- A leadership approach to developing ways and processes to working collaboratively and flexibly
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and can inspire and motivate a team
- Strong time management and critical thinking skills, high attention to detail and process
- Keeps updated with and interprets current creative design thinking and new visual ideas/ techniques
- Ability to present concepts and explain clearly the creative thinking and production processes involved
- Genuinely interested in producing cross-platform content for commercial clients and brands
- The ability to think quickly, adapt and problem solve in a fast paced environment
Apply by completing the application form below.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart.
Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week.
They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.