Metro.co.uk, Assistant News Editor
Do you think about news in a fresh way yet have the journalistic rigour of an old hack? Do you have a brimming book full of industry contacts?
Metro.co.uk brings news, analysis, features, opinion, shareable content and everything in-between to a fast-growing global audience, and we are now looking for an experienced and talented Assistant News Editor to join the team.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in creating original content, perfecting treatments for on-diary stories and a proven track record of being able to run a news shift efficiently.
You will have experience in leading the way with the strongest angles on the best stories. You should have a passion for both hard and soft news along with its more unusual sides.
It is a role that is intended to place you at the centre of news shifts, writing and editing stories, setting the news agenda, and commissioning reporters along with helping devise our long term strategy about how news works in a social age.
Responsibilities and key requirements:
- NCTJ qualification is essential
- At least 3-5 years’ online newsroom experience
- Working with the News Editor and other colleagues to create the best engaging content for Metro.co.uk
- An expert eye for spotting the most interesting stories across all social platforms, media channels and resources
- Creating and commissioning original news stories as well as ensuring that breaking news is covered speedily, with an emphasis for being first
- Have an overall view of stories to make sure they have the best impact, not just in the words that are written, but also in the pictures that are used
- Help to build a strong Metro.co.uk voice across our news output, including social and search
- Leading news shifts throughout the week, evenings and weekends as required
- Broad industry contacts and good relationships with news and picture agencies
- Understanding of legal covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice, media and copyright law
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability are essential.
Please send your CV and cover letter by completing the application form below.