The Independent, Homepage Editor
Independent.co.uk is an international website attracting more than 100million global visitors a month. We have an international editorial team with our main offices in London and New York.
- A senior journalist with extensive experience editing website homepages for national or international websites.
- At least two years’ experience as a homepage or digital editor.
- Exceptionally high standards both editorially and professionally.
- A great eye for presentation and digital best practice.
- An unrivalled understanding of homepage best practice.
- An expert understanding of website analytics.
The Independent is looking to hire an experienced and dynamic Homepage Editor.
The title needs an expert digital journalist to carefully curate the homepage and be an integral part of the Independent’s senior editorial team.
The successful candidate will have an advanced understanding of homepage best practice, SEO and website analytics, as well as being a talented headline writer.
The homepage editor will be expected to reflect the myriad of content the business creates in the most engaging, stylish, and thoughtful way possible, while retaining the standards of The Independent at all times.
The homepage editor will also be a key part of the commissioning process and will be expected to be vocal both in the newsroom and at conference.
Applicants with will be considered.
- Ensure the homepage is up to date, timely, mature and reflective of the core brand at all times.
- Ensure the content displayed on the page is of the standard expected of such a platform, and liaise with colleagues if changes need to be made.
- Work with the heads of department to make sure the homepage has the packages it needs to succeed.
- Commission content in conjunction with heads of department. React to analytics but understand the need to lead on certain themes for brand purposes and reputation.
- Excellent at writing headlines and selling content in the best possible way.
- Understanding of media law.
Skills and experience
- Has worked in a similar role in a comparative environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A clear understanding of the Independent’s values and history.
- A good sense of humour as well as maturity.
- A great eye for image use and an understanding of how to crop images.
- An encyclopedic knowledge of current affairs and pop culture.
- A team player with a demonstrable record of success in producing and curating first-class journalism.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Closing date: Wednesday 28 February 2018.