The Independent, SEO and Social Media Assistant
The Independent is looking for a creative and driven SEO and social media journalist.
The successful candidate must have a passion for news - and a passion for making news stories and headlines accessible and engaging to readers.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include curating our social media feeds, writing headlines, spotting stories, pitching ideas and coming up with feature ideas based on trending topics.
We want to hear from anyone who likes news, editing websites and picking out shareable stories - and has experience with all three.
Flexibility and the ability to work weekends and evenings is crucial in this role.
Essential experience and skills:
- Experience of working in a fast-paced newsroom
- Strong familiarity with and fondness for social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Reddit and YouTube
- Strong attention to detail
- The ability to understand and spot a wide range of news stories – from science, to politics and sport
- Writing experience and proven experience with social media and editorial analytics
- The ability to write punchy, SEO-friendly headlines
- The ability to investigate and identify stories and trending content
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and a love of the internet
Preferred experience and skills:
- Experience using Excel, Chartbeat, Google Analytics and Omniture
- Experience of building audiences with social media and developing social media accounts
- Familiarity with SEO best practice is an advantage
Please note, due to the high level of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Apply with your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below.
Closing date: Friday 9 March 2018.