Metro Editor, The Seattle Times - WA
5 days left
- Full Time
At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a difference to our community.
As a news media company, we cut through the clutter and provide readers with news and information that is timely, relevant and easy to access in every way they consume it.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times remains a family-owned business deeply rooted in the community and is committed to principled, investigative news coverage.
The Seattle Times, an award-winning news organization with a tradition of strong watchdog and public-service journalism, is looking for a Metro Editor to drive local news coverage in one of the nation’s fastest-growing cities. Reporting directly to the Managing Editor, this position is one of the most critical and demanding in our newsroom.
It requires someone with a rare mix of skills: thoughtful, decisive leadership; keen news judgment; a knack for multitasking without losing track of details; skills to edit both fast-breaking news and in-depth projects thoroughly and quickly; the ability to calmly guide a news staff transforming itself into a truly digital operation; and a positive, team-building approach suited to a highly collaborative newsroom.
The Seattle area’s rapid growth makes it a challenging and rewarding place for deep, sophisticated journalism. Gentrification, income disparity, sharp political shifts, race relations, and huge challenges such as homelessness and traffic gridlock – those are just some of the issues we expose and explore. Our Metro Editor is at the center of this coverage.
- Responsible for the coordination of the Metro operation.
- Provide leadership, administration and operational management of the Metro staff.
- Supervise editors who plan, gather, evaluate, select and edit materials for print and digital publication, including daily and Sunday Local sections; also A-1 and other sections as appropriate.
- Provide oversight for the daily and Sunday Local sections, as well as content digitally on www.seattletimes.com and elsewhere.
- Oversee the metro staff’s transformation into a digitally focused operation.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to counsel their development including performance management and coaching.
- Develop operating budgets, authorize overtime and expenditures, and manage expenses to meet budget projections.
- 8+ years’ experience at a metropolitan daily media organization, including supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism (or related field), or a combination of education and experience.
- High-energy, passionate editor who sets a high standard for yourself and those around you.
- Proven social-media skills, with ability to use Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and other emerging social media networks to reach new audiences
- Ability to analyze stories and make quick, informed judgments about content, libel, accuracy, and newsworthiness under pressure and on deadline.
Click 'Apply' now.