Editor - Operations and Quality, Dow Jones Newswires - NY
The editor for operations and quality is responsible for maintaining the quality of content and feeds as well as ensuring the smooth functioning of Dow Jones Newswires globally.
This editor responds to customer questions about all wires content, investigates complaints and ensures adjustments or corrections are done in a timely manner.
This requires close interaction and troubleshooting with WSJ editing teams, external content partners and the DJN product, technology and coding teams. This includes vetting new content partners and assisting with editorial engagement on new technology initiatives.
In addition, this role handles the scheduling of reporters and editors, including the senior publishing editors for breaking news and SEC reporting, and coordinates the handoff across time zones and regions.
We are looking for someone with both logistical efficiency and editorial proficiency, who can easily pivot from administrative tasks to editing and slotting duties when needed during peak news periods.
The right candidate will have at least 5-10 years of editing experience in a real-time environment and a background in financial news coverage.
- Understands newsroom priorities and the needs of professional audiences of traders, financial advisers, hedge funds and other investors.
- Assigns and oversees editors’ work and schedules, and helps them make progress and learn.
- Able to fairly evaluate quality and accuracy of coverage and serve as an intermediary between journalists and audience members.
- Proficient in financial topics and the workings of regulatory bodies.
- Demonstrates the ability to quickly and sharply edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Draws on a depth of financial knowledge to quickly assess and prioritize headline writing and editing of breaking news coming in through multiple channels.
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Command of all publishing platforms and newsroom editorial tools, metadata and internal coding for WSJ and DJ Newswires.
- Awareness of technology and systems used to customize news feeds, filter content, improve the user experience and measure audience engagement.
- Proficient in using technology to enhance speed and efficiency of monitoring news, checking facts, and coordinating across teams.
- Understands the importance of proper coding and tagging for headlines and different types of content for different channels.
- Acts as an arbiter on decisions related to news distribution.
- Expert at resolving conflict with compassion and understanding.
- Serves as a key voice in product initiatives for digital platforms and editorial tools.
- Sets team schedules and manages workflow.
- Communicates changes to workflow, tools and best practices on an ongoing basis.
- Leads by example and works well across teams.
- Highly organized and skilled at identifying efficiencies to be gained.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Goal oriented, proactive and deadline focused.
- Understands workflow beyond his or her own needs.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Functions well within a team.
- Wants to learn new skills.
Click 'Apply' now.