Art Director - Features, The Wall Street Journal - NY
The Art Director for features is responsible for the vision and production of a weekly feature section of The Wall Street Journal.
The art director will report to the deputy design chief for features and work with other designers to produce visually compelling and journalistically sound layouts and content for a weekly feature section. Multiple positions are available.
- Reviews advertising layouts and develops a visual plan that best represents each story.
- Works with section editors, photo editors and graphic editors to determine how best to tell stories visually and prioritize how to display the stories.
- Art directs section and handles special requests.
- Assigns work to assistant AD and distributes and manages the weekly workload.
- Provides guidance and feedback to assistant AD.
- Ensures design and layout consistency across section
- Adheres to and respects established styles.
- Coordinates photo shoots as needed.
- Assigns illustrations and manages budget.
- Effectively balances competing priorities and manages time to meet section deadlines.
- Delivers a creative and innovative section that reflects the high journalistic standards of the WSJ.
- Leads the conversation for weekly and future section planning.
- Provides art direction for digital presentation of stories.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least five to seven years experience in feature design
- A strong portfolio reflecting experience in fashion, travel, lifestyle, autos and real estate
- A passion for journalism and excellent news judgement
- Must have excellent and demonstrable design and typography skills
- Flexibility to work with both Macintosh and PC operating systems.
- A good understanding of CSS and XML.
- Able to help reporters and editors understand best practices for visual storytelling.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good knowledge of responsive design and best practices for building stories for mobile devices is a bonus.
- Software Requirements: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, G Suite, Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with Eidos Media’s Methode publishing system a plus.
- Normal work days will be Monday-Friday.
Click 'Apply' now.