Experienced Copy Editors, South China Morning Post - Hong Kong
The South China Morning Post is hiring for our Asia Desk to expand our coverage of diplomacy, security, politics, economics and business across the region. We aim to shine a spotlight on the tensions and opportunities related to China’s growing power and influence in the Asia region.
As part of this transformation, we are seeking talented, experienced and passionate copy editors with digital skills as well as reporting expertise
The successful candidate will join a rapidly expanding team editing stories from our network of reporters across Asia. They also will be given opportunities to develop and expand their Asia expertise through regular reporting on the region.
The content they produce will feature in SCMP.com for our growing digital readership, including in the This Week in Asia section, and its print equivalent on Sunday.
- Editing, checking facts, rewriting and improving copy with care and sensitivity; ensuring copy is error-free
- Crafting top-notch SEO headlines and captions
- Ensuring all stories have the appropriate, accurate and eye-catching visual elements
- Using analytical tools to make sure the right stories are delivered in a timely way
- Curating skills to help manage homepages
- Capable of turning around raw copy fast when needed and the patience to work constructively with reporters based in capitals across Asia for whom English may not be a first language
- Reporting on Asia regional issues, occasional travel opportunities
- Ensure stories include the relevant context to ensure copy appeals to a global readership
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a real-time online news operation, a wire service or a newspaper is essential
- Experience with print production helpful for publishing our Sunday magazine
- Previous experience in Asia regional economics, politics, and/or diplomatic fields preferred; experience reporting from an Asian country helpful
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy
- Ability to make good use of social media as a news dissemination tool
- Strong familiarity with the China/Asia context
- Can-do attitude with top-notch English subbing skills and zero tolerance for errors in grammar, spelling and content
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy/
You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks
Apply for Experienced Copy Editors, South China Morning Post - Hong Kong
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly