Senior Publishing Editor - WSJ Print Desk, The Wall Street Journal - NY
3 days left
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking versatile editors who can direct the work of team members and manage daily content decisions to evaluate, prioritize and assemble a robust mix of stories, graphics and photos for the U.S., World, Corporate, Markets and Greater New York sections of the daily print edition; some of these editors will serve as the final reader/clearer on all articles and pages in the print edition and manage the late-night production process for final print editions.
These editors will work closely with Art Directors and the Print Editor to create, and in some cases maintain through the night, a cohesive section with compelling layouts for each page and to make those pages as good as they can be. They also will edit, fit, and write headlines to finish the daily pages on a timely basis. When necessary, they fill in for fellow section editors when they are out.
Successful candidates must have strong news judgment and the ability to work and manage teams and decisions effectively under deadline pressure. A deep interest in all areas of news, in particular finance, business and technology, is desired. Full grasp of grammar, spelling and style rules, compliance with standards guidelines, and factual accuracy are critical.
The ability to work independently as well as on a team and collaborate with reporters and editors around the world is essential.
Experience in print journalism and publishing, plus an appreciation of modern and innovative storytelling techniques, is preferred. This job includes evening work hours.
- Exercise exceptional news judgment in editing and print publishing.
- Complete understanding of print publishing standards and reader expectations.
- Demonstrate the ability to edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness, and to oversee others’ work on these guidelines.
- Proficient in numeracy and draws on a variety of general knowledge, confident in analyzing the data behind a story.
- Uphold Dow Jones standards and ethics in own work and that of others.
- Understand WSJ’s brand, content and various digital and print platforms.
- Recognize the core audiences for WSJ, and their needs and expectations.
- Help connect the content with the audience.
Print media skills
- Complete understanding of the print process, from page plans to presses.
- Ease with editing different types of media, e.g., text, graphics and photo captions.
- Create story packages/article pages that meet WSJ requirements.
- Full command of newsroom editorial tools, especially Methode.
- Assign or oversee other editors’ work. May manage workflow or participate in performance reviews.
- Assist in coaching individual editors, identifies training opportunities and participates in training presentations as needed.
- Make coverage decisions when needed and organizes colleagues to execute plans.
- Lead by example and works well across teams.
- Proactive rather than reactive.
- Communicate precisely, with compassion.
- Participate in recruiting and evaluating candidates during the hiring process.
- Participate in decision-making regarding disciplinary action and compensation.
- Take pride in and ownership of his or her own work.
- Prioritize tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Meet deadlines.
- Aid in building collective skills across the editing team.
- Understand workflow beyond his or her own needs.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Function well within a team.
- Want to learn new skills.
Reports to the Print Editor.
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events.
Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally.
It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).