Editorial Fellow, Crain's Chicago Business - IL
Crain's Chicago Business seeks a full-time general assignment editorial fellow to join our newsroom working 40 hours a week for one year. You'll primarily be writing for our award-winning website, ChicagoBusiness.com.
A cover letter must be provide with at least one story idea you would cover if you were selected for the position. While this position has a temporary status, it is eligible for health benefits.
If we could clone all the best qualities from others who've had this role—and who've gone on to jobs in other newsrooms and with professional organizations—and blend them into one candidate, these are the assets they'd bring to the job:
- A strong sense of curiosity that drives them to ask questions even their editors hadn't thought of. The same drive compels them to bring several researched story pitches to their editors each week
- Being a quick study, establishing a rapport with people and possessing the research skills to seek expert sources is essential
- Jump into breaking news
- Find their niche in our newsroom, identifying a sliver of a beat we haven't covered and making it their own
- Knowledge of "general assignment" means becoming fluent in: covering health care, commercial real estate, employment, manufacturing, politics and a variety of other beats
- Write four grafs to blast to thousands of subscribers, and then follow up with write-throughs that add context and outside voices
- Building and maintaining relationships/rapport with people/sources
- Experience working in a newsroom, either as a professional or as part of a college publication
- Evidence of your strong interviewing, reporting and editing skills
- Show us you've got a keen eye for detail and a great ability to keep organized. Juggling several stories at once won't faze you
- Must be able to work 9-5, Monday-Friday
- Provide at least one story idea you would cover for us if you got the job within your cover letter
- Experience covering business. You know how to read a balance sheet, a case study and a piece of legislation—and if you don't, you're excited that we can teach you.
- An obvious familiarity with ChicagoBusiness.com and Crain's Chicago Business: what and who we cover
- Links to your writing examples
Click 'Apply' now.
For over 30 years, Crain's Chicago Business has been the premier source of local business news and information for the Chicago area's influential business executives.
Every week Crain's print edition delivers scoop-oriented articles, enlightening features and invaluable industry rankings. Crain's award-winning website, ChicagoBusiness.com, is an essential online tool for news, information and statistics about doing business in Chicago. Crain's Chicago Business is a Crain Communications Inc publication.
Click HERE to visit us in our Chicago office.
Crain Communications has been at the forefront of the publishing industry for more than a century. Combining information with innovation, Crain delivers the story you can’t get anywhere else.
As a privately held company, we maintain a personal responsibility for elevating our work to be the best it can be. Every editor, reporter and correspondent at Crain shares the responsibility of ensuring the editorial independence and importance of our work.
With an Audience First focus and uncompromising integrity, we strive to make a real impact for the individuals and industries we serve. While other media companies report the news, Crain gives it meaning. We add context to content, infuse information with insights, and initiate connections as well as conversations.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a profitable, well established publishing leader.